Right, well absolutely no-one was interested in my lorry-spotting musings in in-car ent 3 so I’ve gone for a more popular way for several adults to kill an hour whilst stuck in traffic; your pet items to consign to room 101. It actually works really well with 3 or more folk involved, as I was last week travelling back to Brighton with my lovely daughter and son-in-law, E and S. Grandson S was happily focused on the tracks from the CD, Happy Songs (some classics, some dogs but I’m proud to say that at 5 he knows all the words to James Brown’s I Feel Good). Grandson G was fast asleep – probably dreaming about what it’ll be like to be all grown-up and to have so many things to hate.
Here’s a short list of some of the things we came up with during some hard going down the A23. What would you consign to the litter bin of popular culture?
– Jimmy Saville, Elaine Paige and radio 5’s Victoria Derbyshire
– golfing bores, golfing etiquette, golfing gear and, in my case, golf itself.
– ties, sweat bands, cumberbunds and, in my case again, dinner suits completely
– front gardens – esp the couldn’t-be-bothered-so-it-looks-a-tip variety
– soap on a rope, combs
– the item known as Chanelle and Ziggy
– local town mayors and town twinning
– those really low gears on a push bike that make people cycle like crazy but travel hardly any distance. also cycling helmets
– check-in procedures at stansted
– traffic wardens (of course) and their stupid uniforms
and finally, and rather surprisingly from my daughter later that evening, wishy-washy politics and spineless politicians. Blimey it’s only in-car entertainment but I like it E!